Waste not want not. Got some overripe bananas to use up? Why not try this recipe from our Bakehouse for a delicious banana cake.
Banana cake recipe (makes 12 large slices)
- 330g self raising flour
- 70g Weald & Downland flour or other wholemeal flour
- 180g sugar
- 180g butter
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
- 200g dried fruit (could be any, I used figs)
- 4 overripe bananas – mashed
- 2 eggs
- Warm the oven up to 180oC, butter a 20cm cake tin, or you could do 2 small loaf tins (and freeze one for later, it freezes very well).
- Place the flour, sugar and spices in a large bowl. Dice up the butter and rub it into the dry mix until it resembles medium breadcrumbs.
- Add the fruit and mix in, make a well in the centre and add the mashed bananas and 2 eggs. Mix to a thick cake batter, if it’s too thick add some milk.
- Put the batter mix into the tin(s) and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer pushed to the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then remove from tin and cool on a wire rack.
Ready for teatime, if you can wait that long!
Steve Scott, Trades & Crafts Interpreter (AKA Steve the Baker)