It’s Elementary! Wonderful Wednesdays Children’s Activities – 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30 August
Enjoy Wonderful Wednesdays – fun-packed activity days for children – every Wednesday in August at the Museum.
Every Wednesday during August, accompanied children can enjoy a wide range of arts, crafts and traditional countryside activities as part of a day out at the Museum. Each day will have a theme based on the elements – water, earth, fire and air – with a ‘best of the elements’ day on 30 August.
There are lots of opportunities to get hands-on and activities will vary, but are planned to include:
- Earth 2 August: have a go at wattle and daub, brick laying, pottery, pebble art, and make a mini wattle hurdle
- Fire 9 August: try the singing kettle challenge and natural dyeing, taste a drop scone cooked over an open fire and make a fiery face mask
- Air 16 August: make a mini windmill, sail a walnut shell boat, record the butterflies you spot and enter the mini-parachute challenge
- Water 23 August: there’s a hole in my bucket challenge, wash your hands with soapwort, make a periscope or a Tudor bath bomb
- Best of the Elements 30 August: featuring the most popular activities from the month!
Our collection of over 50 rescued historic buildings, set in 40 acres of parkland, are great places to explore.
Learn how food was prepared in the Tudor kitchen, visit the millers at the watermill, watch the blacksmith at work, and spot the traditional farm animals – there are Shire horses, Percheron horses, Sussex oxen, chickens and geese.
Collect your free copy of the Museum Detective booklet from our shop and hunt for things to find around the Museum site.
Whatever the weather, Wonderful Wednesdays are a great opportunities to bring friends and family to the Museum’s idyllic location in the heart of the South Downs National Park near Chichester. Buy drinks, snacks, ice creams and meals in the Museum’s new waterside café or enjoy your own picnic.
Activities will run from 11am-4pm each Wednesday in August and children must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Please wear clothes suitable for playing outdoors. Dogs on leads are welcome and there is ample free parking.
Regular entry charges apply and the Museum will be open from 10.30am to 6pm (shop closes 5.30pm and cafe closes 5.00pm).