Wonderful Wednesdays are fun-packed activity days for families, which take place at the Museum every Wednesday in August. Our theme this August is the senses – sight, smell, touch, sound and taste – with a different sense featuring each week.
- Wednesday, 1 August 2018 is Sound: hear traditional stories, join a music workshop and follow the listening walk. Get crafty making story stones, rainmakers and musical instruments!
- Wednesday, 8 August 2018 is Sight: go on a scavenger hunt, weave with willow and get craft making stain glass windows , discovery bottles, and sand art.
- Wednesday, 15 August 2018 is Smell: take our ‘smelly trail’ , make a bath bomb, paint a picture using our traditionally scented paints and craft your own apothecary bead.
- Wednesday, 22 August 2018 is Taste: try drop scones in the Market Square and head to the Tudor kitchen for tasters. Make salt dough food, plant herbs and try traditional sweets.
- Wednesday, 29 August 2018 is Touch: have a go at willow weaving and try the barefoot texture walk. Get crafty making cornflour slime, finger paint with textured paints, make a brick and more!
A list of activities will be uploaded to this page in advance of each Wonderful Wednesday and a flyer and map will be available on arrival.
Please note that some activities have a small charge – these activities are clearly indicated on the daily flyer (available on the event page nearer the time). All activities are subject to change.
“Wonderful Wednesday: It certainly was! A great day out with loads to do for the children. They did corn dolly making, stained glass windows, candle making, willow weaving and loads more. So much to do, an excellent café and really friendly atmosphere.” – Trip Advisor, August 2018
There are lots of opportunities to get hands-on and activities will vary every week, so come back and try something new!
Activities run from 11am–4pm each Wednesday in August and children must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Please wear clothes and shoes suitable for playing outdoors.
The Museum is open from 10.30am–6pm (shop closes 5.30pm). Our waterside café is open 9am–5pm.