Imagine, play, create, explore – come and uncover what’s through the door on the weekend of 29-30 July!
Our exciting new family festival offers children and their families the opportunity to run wild with their imagination – through woodland trails, funfair rides, climbing wall, circus skills, art workshops and more!
- Follow the Alice in Wonderland trail to the Mad Hatter’s tea party. Take part in free cookery classes making yummy Queen of Heart tarts, led by the Fun Food Academy. Meet Alice and her friends, climb upon our giant Alice chair and take a selfie through the Wonderland peep boards.
- Join DD Storyteller for a mini mystery that will entertain and inspire. Knock on the doors to discover familiar woodland animals and magical creatures, in original stories for 3 – 8 year olds. Come on a journey to solve the mystery behind the pot of missing gold and follow the trail to the orchard apples.
- Bring your favourite teddy to the Museum and take them on an adventure. Take part in our teddy bears’ picnic too.
- Give your teddy a thrilling ride on the teddy bears’ zip wire – each bear receives a certificate of bravery.
- Take a turn on traditional fairground rides*.
- Rise to the challenge of the 25 foot climbing wall*.
- Join Jake’s Circus Skills workshops and have a go at plate spinning, scarf juggling, pedal wheels, clown bikes, stilt walking and maybe try the unicycle or tight wire.
- Take a donkey ride*, play traditional games, try your hand at archery* and visit the new play areas and activity hubs.
- Enjoy free creative workshops; help create a giant colourful trees sculpture or create your own small fairies, birds and creatures to hang in the woodland wonderland.
- Take part in colourful weaving and yarnbombing activities.
- Get stuck into the woodland den making workshops, where families can borrow tools and build pallet structures and dens.
- Find your way around the meandering maze.
- Take part in ‘Going on a bear hunt’ trail.
- Watch displays by the world record breaking 3SIXTY bicycle stunt team.
Information for visitors
The Museum will be open from 10.30am – 5.00pm for the Through The Door Family Festival. Standard Museum admission prices (free for Annual Members). Children aged 4 years and under enter for free.
Most activities are included in the admission price but some (marked with an *) incur a small additional charge.
Dogs on short leads are welcome and there is free parking. Visitors with disabilities are advised to contact the Museum on 01243 811363 in advance of their visit, to discuss the easiest way to access the site.