Rural Life Weekend: English Scything
Enjoy exploring the Museum site and chat to the team who are scything or haymaking over this Rural Life Weekend.
See scything and haymaking near the visitor centre buildings (A2) and the main demonstration area between Tindalls Cottage (R3) and Bayleaf Farmhouse (B1).
- 11.30 The English scythe
- 12.00 The role of the blacksmith: scythe blades
- 12.30 How to look after a scythe
- 14.30 The snath and how it is shaped
- 15.30 The role of the blacksmith: scythe blades
Watch scything demonstrations with traditional English scythes
- Find out about the uses of scythes, ancient and modern
- Find out about haymaking in the ‘Olympic’ wildflower meadow
- Look at artefacts relating to harvesting and making hay from the Museum collection
- See display materials on scything through history
Plus additional talks and demonstrations. For a full list of planned activities, see the links below:
- Scything weekend – what’s on Saturday 4 August 2018
- Scything weekend – what’s on Sunday 5 August 2018
Programme subject to change
Standard Museum admission prices apply – tickets are available to buy online (select general admission) or on the day. Dogs on short leads are welcome and there is ample free parking. Visitors with disabilities are advised to contact the Museum in advance of their visit, to discuss the easiest way to access the site.