Through the Door Family Festival
Imagine, play, create, explore – come and uncover what’s through the door! This exciting new family festival will offer children and their families the opportunity to run wild with their imagination – through woodland trails, funfair rides*, climbing wall*, circus skills, art workshops and more!
Download the show programme and plan your visit!
- Follow the Alice in Wonderland trail to the Mad Hatter’s tea party. Take part in free cookery classes making yummy Queen of Heart tarts, led by the Fun Food Academy. Meet Alice and her friends, climb upon our giant Alice chair and take a selfie through the Wonderland peep boards.
- Join DD Storyteller for a mini mystery that will entertain and inspire. Knock on the doors to discover familiar woodland animals and magical creatures, in original stories for 3 – 8 year olds. Come on a journey to solve the mystery behind the pot of missing gold and follow the trail to the orchard apples.
- Bring your favourite teddy to the Museum and take them on an adventure. Take part in our teddy bears’ picnic.
- Find your way around the meandering maze.
- Take part in the going on a bear hunt trail!
- Watch displays by the world record breaking 3SIXTY bicycle stunt team.
- Give your teddy a thrilling ride on the teddy bears’ zip wire – each bear receives a certificate of bravery.
- Take a turn on traditional fairground rides*.
- Rise to the challenge of the 25 foot climbing wall*.
- Join Jake’s Circus Skills Workshops and have a go at plate spinning, scarf juggling, pedal wheels, clown bikes, stilt walking and maybe try the unicycle or tight wire.
- Take a donkey ride*, play traditional games, try your hand at archery* and visit the new play areas and activity hubs.
- Enjoy free creative workshops; help create a giant colourful trees sculpture or create your own small fairies, birds and creatures to hang in the woodland wonderland.
- Take part in colourful weaving and yarnbombing activities.
- Get stuck into the woodland den making workshops, where families can borrow tools and build pallet structures and dens.
Opening hours and prices
The Museum will be open from 10.30am – 5.00pm for the Through The Door Family Festival. Standard Museum admission prices (free for Annual Members). Children aged 4 years and under enter for free.
Although the majority of activities are free (included in the admission price) those marked with an asterisk* carry a small fee or donation, which we try to keep as low as possible.
Dogs on short leads are welcome and there is free parking. Visitors with disabilities are advised to contact the Museum on 01243 811363 in advance of their visit, to discuss the easiest way to access the site.