Shepherding & Shepherds’ Huts
Join us for a special small-scale exhibition focused on shepherds’ huts and their agricultural applications.
In addition to the Museum’s historic collection of huts and living vans, we will also welcome visiting huts from modern-day manufacturers and craftsmen.
This exhibition also encompasses the skills, traditions and culture of the downland shepherds. We plan to feature sheep-related activities including:
- A blacksmith making hooks
- Spinners and knitters demonstrating their crafts
- Gate hurdle making
- Talks about shepherding and huts
- Southdown sheep and their lambs
- Traditional Sussex folk singing, performed by the Copper Family from Rottingdean at 2pm on Sunday in the Building Crafts Gallery
The character and charm of these huts makes them incredibly popular as modern, moveable spaces and inspirational new builds will be on display.