Tales of the Downs and Beyond is our series of enjoyable evening talks, which take place at the Museum from April to August each year.
Linked to the Museum’s key themes and our Downland location, each 60 to 90-minute talk covers a fascinating topic. Our talks are highly regarded and over 600 people attend each year.
Here are our 2017 talks:
- Frame and Plane: Design Response for the New Gateway Project – 24 April 2017
- The Time Travellers’ Guide to Restoration Britain – 4 May 2017
- Jane Austen’s Emma – 9 May 2017
- Anne Boleyn: A King’s Obsession – 16 May 2017
- Craftsmanship and Community – 24 May 2017
- Stone Masonry Through the Ages – 6 June 2017
- Traditional As Radical: How the Weald & Downland Inspired a Contemporary Design Studio – 21 June 2017
- A272, an Ode To A Road – 28 June 2017
- Exploring Sussex Churches – 4 July 2017
- The Conservation of the Barn From May Day Farm, Tonbridge – 6 July 2017
- Silk Road Steppes, Gondwana Landscapes and Woodland of the World: The Wild and Designed at Wakehurst – 13 July 2017
- The Royal Hospital for Seamen, Greenwich, and its Place in the History of the English Baroque – 20 July 2017
- The Weald & Downland Gridshell as the Harmonic Embodiment of Architecture, Structure and Craft – 24 July 2017
- Light, Space, Movement and Change – 1 August 2017
Ticket pricing and how to book
Tickets for each talk are £14 per person, £10 for Museum Members* or £5 for Weald & Downland Museum volunteers*.
Offer: if six places are booked for the same talk, the sixth place is free! Discount automatically applied when booking online.
* You may be asked for proof of status before being admitted, so please bring your Museum badge or Membership card with you.
Information for participants
Talks start at 6.30pm and last for 60 to 90 minutes. There will be tea, coffee and cake available between 6.00pm-6.30pm. If you have any dietary requirements please let us know in advance.
For the full talks programme, please visit our evening talks page, where you can book tickets online. If you have any questions, please contact the Courses team on 01243 811021 or email [email protected].