Toll House from Beeding

Toll houses were provided on turnpike roads in the 18th and 19th centuries for the collection of tolls from passing traffic, the money being used to maintain the road. The house from Beeding was built on a new road established in 1807. The toll board outside the cottage came from Northchapel, near Petworth.

Toll cottage

The toll cottage before being dismantled in 1968. The gable had been created when the front of the cottage was truncated, and an extension was added beyond. In the late 19th century it was used as a tea room. At the Museum it has been restored to its original shape and size.