Medieval house from North Cray

This building is a classic medieval hall-house of four bays, with a central open hall between service and solar ends. The timbers are painted red, following evidence that this was done when the house was originally built. It was probably built in the 15th century.

North Cray

The medieval house on its original site in North Cray, photographed in 1928. It was dismantled by the local authority in 1965 for road widening, and the timbers were given to the Museum in 1975